Tuesday, October 18, 2011

G20 Response


G20 Response

10/18/2011



            I’ve heard of the G20 Summit and I always knew when it was taking place, but I really didn’t know what the focus point of this summit was until class. I feel that the summit deals with what would be in the best interest of the world. I don’t think the summit is not needed, because if we just stopped having the summit who would deal with the financial issues of the world. These heads of states that attend to the conference are elected by their countries citizens to look out for what’s best for the county and its people, so I don’t think the whole summit is pointless. If we somehow where able to stop this summit, then who would make our financial decisions for us? Are we as “ordinary” people capable of doing that? If that was the case then why didn’t you or I run for office? I think citizens desire more ability to have their voice heard, when it comes to policy making but when you get that chance to be heard, what are you going to actually say? You could wine, and complain that the various governments aren’t doing what they need to do to protect their citizens, but in actuality WE voted them in. So the only best solution is to vote them OUT! I support change, if it’s going to benefit us all and not just one particular group. These people that protest at things like the G20 Summit, are not speaking for EVERY person.  A lot of these people want things changed that will benefit them and not all of us as a whole. Protests to me aren’t necessary, point blank! Most protests lead to violence, and what is violence going to solve? There are other ways to get your voice heard without protesting. Did these people protesting at the G20 summit accomplish what they set out to accomplish? In my opinion NO! The just disturbed the peace and tranquility of a community without regards to how the people that actually live there feel. Protesters come in, cause a disturbance, unlawfulness, chaos, and etc., and then leave. What’s the point of doing this? Nothing is going to change because people decided to protest the G20 summit. The world’s richest countries will continue to have these summits years after years, and they will still continue to make decisions. Ordinary citizens aren’t capable of making decisions of this magnitude so I am all for my elected officials making certain decisions. I may not agree with the decisions, but hey, I voted for this particular person, so I get what I voted, and next time I will know not to vote they back in. Protesting gets nothing solved; people get hurt, killed, locked up, so again I say what’s the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment